Monday, March 5, 2007

WEEK 4 - "La cuisine est la coeur de la maison"


This French quotation, "la cuisine est la coeur de la maison" translates in English to "the kitchen is the heart of the home." While not true for everyone, my kitchen is indeed the heart of my home. I also consider it my realm. When my husband and I moved into our house four years ago, he was given reign over the three-car garage. In return, he recently gave me a beautiful, newly-remodeled kitchen of Canadian maple cabinetry, Caesar-stone countertops, and stainless steel appliances.

I finally have the perfect place to practice my kitchen "alchemy" and the home canning of orange marmalade is my favorite culinary challenge. Sugar, pectin, and orange segments, along with hand cut slivers of orange peel that have just enough pith to give the finished product some bite, are the basic orange marmalade ingredients. Add to those basics a quantity of water, a fair amount of luck, a great deal of patience and the end result is the satisfaction of lining up a dozen or so jars of sweet, lovely marmalade that shine like citrine jewels.

My kitchen is the physical "heart" of my home, but more importantly, it's the place where I put a bit of my heart into everything special I prepare. Cooking can be more than just making something to fill the void in one's stomach and to me, cooking is a way show and share love.

No comments: